Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Lend Me Your Earrings

Apartment living can be challenging. How do you organize your home in a way that is both efficient and space-conscious?
 My conundrum this month has focused on how and where to store my earrings. They had previously been piled in a small box in a drawer; out of sight, out of mind. I would rarely wear them. Since we have a good amount of counter space in the bathroom, I wanted to find something to store them in that could be both functional and decorative.
I came across this cute box at Michael's, 30% off. It's made out of cardboard and has a magnetic closure. And it looks like a book! How cute and scholarly is that? The only problem was, how would I hang my earrings in it? Then I had an epiphany:
A wardrobe!
So I set off to find a small wooden dowel (29 cents), a few unpainted cardboard boxes (50 cents each) and a cute piece of scrapbook paper. Here's the end result, and I'm so happy with it!

I started by measuring the dowel to the width of the box (x3), then cut and painted them with a white acrylic paint. Once they had dried, I marked where to put them in, leaving extra room for the longer earrings. With a hot glue gun, I glued in the dowel bars. Then I painted the small cardboard boxes and glued some cute scrapbook paper to the front.

The boxes hold stud earrings, and the other holds rings! A great solution to my problem, for less than $10 (and less than an hour to make)!
Happy crafting!

8 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS!! Great Job Sarah!! I want to make one of my own..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love!!! I've always said you're the crafty one in the family =o) I'm glad you found a fun activity to keep you busy while it's cold and snowy over there! Love you *muak!*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it too :) I want to make one now for sure! You are so creative my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is PRECISELY the thing I need to make! Perfect! I've totally been racking my brain/ looking through every single thrift store for ages for something to put & display my earrings! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Update: I got all the to-do's to make this :) It's happenin'! Thanks again for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're welcome! Send me a picture of how it turns out :)

    ReplyDelete